Tuesday, August 02, 2005

I'm not sure what my point was here, or if there even was one.

I've been giving some thought lately to what I'm doing here. Blogging has not been fulfilling its therapeutic role in my life. It's important that I not allow myself to simply rant, but that I reason things out. It's not productive for me to let out that I hope Jane Fonda's damn bus burns up with her in it. I need to find where within me that feeling comes from, and heal that place.
I found a piece over at DailyZen recently... I'll link to it if I can get the link to work today... that says, in part:
If you view things through your ego, then love and hatred arise uncontrollably, and you cannot avoid indulging feelings. When you indulge feelings, then you are being subjective. When you are subjective, you are ignorant. When you are ignorant, you are mixed up and confused; you are only aware of yourself, not of principle.
I think this is why when I simply ask whether or not Judge Roberts is one of the twenty best legal minds in the country I get a defensive response from our old friend, Anonymous. This is not a partisan blog.
There's nothing I can do about the fact that the neo-conservatives won the last two elections, and there's no cohesive strategy among Democrats to change that anytime real soon. The things that I feel are going wrong with America have been going wrong for at least twenty-five years or more. The people who are still defending the Watergate cover-up, the people responsible for Iran-Contra, the people responsible for setting up Noriega and Hussein and then knocking them down are all doing quite nicely, and will most likely continue to prosper for some time to come. Even when their people are out of office they can successfully tie up any significant changes for as long as it takes until they can find a marketable candidate.
The good news is that historically these things are cyclical, and this, too, shall eventually pass. The timing of that is up to the registered voters of the United States, and so long as they remain too frightened to take back responsibility for their lives I won't hold my breath.
What concerns me is what this is making of us as human beings. We're discussing acceptable methods of torture, and then going across the hall to debate the ethics of stem cell research. If you honestly believe that Karl Rove pointed Bob Novak toward Ambassador Wilson's wife not knowing exactly who she was or where she worked or what she did there then I guess I'm happy for you, but tell me... is this what you thought things would be like when you were growing up?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AQ, you raise very legitimate questions here, some that most of have framed in other ways. Your bio states that you want "to see if I can make sense of what you people are doing, and how I might contribute."

Your posts are always interesting and thought provoking and that IS your contribution - just getting one of us to THINK occasionally. While it may not always be "fulfilling its therapeutic role" for you, our little Planet Blog is richer for you being a part of it.

Keep the faith and keep up the good work!

And, yes, I do know exactly what you mean by the questions this post raises, for I frequently have those same questions and feelings myself.

btw, congrats on the new grandson! Looks like he's already questioning.