Thursday, August 11, 2005

I Feel the Need for an Outburst

I just need to get this out so I can let go of it.
I saw this article about Texas no longer having a non-Hispanic White majority population, and what this might mean to the world.
Well, for one thing I think we need to avoid terms like "majority-minority population." I'm pretty sure that if the majority of a population is now made up of minorities then it must follow that there is no majority population to speak of... a plurality perhaps, but no majority.
My objection is not only to the nonsense of a term like "majority-minority" but to the wrong-headed conclusions one might come to in thinking that way. If Jimmy Smits really did get elected President I doubt that it would be any worse than having George W. Bush in office.
Anglos are outnumbered. Deal with it.

1 comment:

melinama said...

It's time for us all to learn Spanish. I'm working on it!

I'm here for the first time, via Ronni's blogroll.