Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Thoughts on Outsourcing Torture

Before I get sidetracked, I wanted to mention this. I had all but moved on when I was reminded this morning about this story.
Listen, I know why people want to torture. I understand it. Your life is on the line... or that of a buddy or loved one... you think this guy you're looking at has information about it... I understand. It's like when people ask if you wouldn't support the death penalty if your child was the victim... it's an ad hominum argument that has nothing to do with whether or not it's the right thing to do.
The problem is that you're not allowed to do that in America... or if you are an American... so you send them off to another country... even Syria which you've pretty much determined has one of the most loathsome governments in the world... and then you can testify in front of Congress with a straight face that you didn't torture or sanction torture and can you help it how other countries act?... but you go ahead and act on the information.
I swear you people are worse than my kids! Is there such a thing as a neoconservative ethicist? How do you people sleep? Do you recognize that at some point you may have to try to sell this bullshit to your Creator?

No comments: