Wednesday, March 16, 2005

The Exercise of Power

I don't get it... I know good people who voted for Republicans so I feel like I have to be missing some redemptive virtue.
Today they... the Republicans in the U.S. Senate... attached the authority to open the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge to oil exploration and exploitation to a budget bill... thereby protecting it from a filibuster... and passed it on a 51-49 vote. The people who have lied to us continuously since 2001 have assured us that there are billions of barrels of oil buried there and that it can be brought out without significant damage to the environment.
The oil companies did their part... running the price of gasoline right up to the record on the weekend before the vote... and the Senate Republicans did their part... giving the oil companies the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge... just like that.
I hate writing about politics... but I'm afraid to stop. I don't want to be bitching about the outcome from this in ten years and have someone ask me why I didn't say anything at the time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Has there ever been a time in our lives when everything the government does felt more wrong? I don't think so.

It once was that when the White House or Congress acted for the powerful in one area, they supported the common good in another.

But no more; only the powerful win now. I don't do politics on my blog except in relation to aging. I'm glad you're here.