Thursday, March 24, 2005

Thoughts on Duty

Am I a veteran against President Bush's war on Iraq? Absolutely.
What do I think about deserters applying for refugee status in Canada? If they ever set foot in my country again, lock 'em up and throw away the key.
Is this inconsistent with what I've said all along? I don't believe so. I have said all along that we serve our country and that our country picks the wars.
The Oath of Enlistment is a simple one and pretty straightforward: "I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice."
Once you commit to serve, lives depend on you. I understand that poor kids... disadvantaged kids... immigrant kids... looking for any kind of a decent break hear the siren song of the recruiter. Three hot meals and a cot... money for college... learn a trade or profession. Some of them... Pat Tillman... they buy into "saving the nation from international (name a threat)." I know that it sucks to be misled by recruiters or Presidents or whomever; but that doesn't matter once you take that oath. The bottom line is that once you take that oath you have an obligation... not the least of which is to the soldier who's counting on you to watch his back.
I came to terms with the guys who fled their country rather than facing conscription during VietNam... not everyone had the advantages of Dubya or of Dick Cheney. I could respect a guy laying down his weapon and doing his time in the brig. A deserter just needs to keep right on running.

1 comment:

Hill Billy Rave said...

Hey! Good Stuff here. I'm linked, feel privledged.