Monday, November 20, 2006

I Never Wanted to Hear Him Tell Me About VietNam

I feel the need to vent my feelings about Dubya sharing his insights on comparisons between the VietNam War and the war in Iraq. "We'll succeed unless we quit," my ass.
How are the wars different?
For starters, Dubya ducked one and started the other. With him it's about his mouth writing checks for other asses to cover... I guess that's a similarity, too.
For another, I think that VietNam has a homogenous primary culture, and we got involved to prevent the foreseeable outcome of their self-determination. Iraq has/had three primary cultures artificially combined eighty years ago and held together only by dictators... and we succeeded in removing the dictator. ("Mission Accomplished") All the king's horses and all the king's men can't put Humpty Dumpty together again.
How are they similar? We lost a lot of good people in pursuit of a foregone conclusion... but we aren't done yet in Iraq.

4 comments:

Maya's Granny said...

"Dubya ducked one and started the other"! A better, more concise statement of the differences was never spoken. I wish I'd said it, the grace of the statement is so elegant.

Anonymous said...

Dubya opinionating on Vietnam always reminds me of a joke that went around about Dan Quayle back in the day: there are plans to make a movie about his war experiences, to be titled "Full Dinner Jacket."

Unknown said...

I can't bear to watch him speak about anything. That smirk. That attitude of superior knowledge. Aarrgghh. Can I last for two more years?

Rain Trueax said...

I couldn't believe what he said there either. So we would have won if we'd stayed there and kept losing people, killing people, and now had an occupying force in place? Vietnam still at war would have been a good thing? It was shocking and probably even more so is that there were Americans who listened to that, nodded there heads, and said that was so wise.

Oh yeah and the domino effect came to mind again... what they said would happen then and believe would happen now with Iraq if we recognized we have made a terrible mistake there. Sometimes it's amazing to listen to what that man says. I can't imagine anyone that clueless becoming president of this country and yet it happened. :(