Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Thoughts on George W.

Doug Wead says now that he regrets sharing the conversations he had with then Governor Dubya.
I have considered teaching as a career. One sticking point I encountered was that the paperwork required a disclosure of any history of arrests and any history of drug or alcohol abuse... I have had two DUIs... the most recent in 1975. It had not been an issue with military security clearances and no one I spoke with in Sacramento even thought the record still existed... but I knew, and I felt obliged to provide a response. That's just me. That's why I was a little... put off?... that one of the Bush daughters is teaching in a D.C. area school despite a history of underage drinking.
Mr. Bush, on the other hand, in anticipation of his running for President, apparently felt that the voters had neither the right nor the need to be made aware of his... involvement?... experimentation?... with drugs and alcohol. Presumably there was not a concern that the voters were being asked to buy a pig in a poke. Do or say whatever it takes to get elected, and the necessary dissimulation and chicanery can be written of as the end justifying the means. This is the representation of American Values to the world.
Mr. President, I'm actually kind of sorry that this story even came out. I honestly did not want to know... and I'm not sure who is served by our knowing... what a grasping sleaze you are. There are times such as this... we're stuck with you for four more years regardless... when I think a little more ignorance might actually be better.

2 comments:

Robert Brady said...

3 years, 11 months and counting. Living proof of the precious value of term limits.

Sean Dustman said...

It sort of bothers me that we need waivers to join the military but our bosses don't? If only our elected officials went through the same screening process as us and were held up to the same standard, that would be nice!