Monday, November 10, 2008

Not a Good Week for Blogging

This is not going to be a great week for blogging. Thursday is California's statewide earthquake drill, and I've spent quite a bit of time so far prepping for it and have a lot more to spend participating in it.

All day Thursday I participate with the local Red Cross chapter assessing our readiness to quickly set up a shelter in the immediate aftermath of the simulated 'quake. (There are millions of residents in the LA basin and perhaps a few thousand shelter beds.)

Saturday the Red Cross has an information booth at the county fire expo.

Sunday the county is having an all-day field exercise for the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) up in Sherman Oaks.

Getting involved in earthquake recovery is one of those things I've been meaning to do, but never made time for until this year. There's supposed to be a 90-something percent probability of a major earthquake here within the next thirty years. If you sign up on USGS.gov, you can get notified of earthquakes as they occur, and it's sobering to watch them first up in the Aleutians and then down off Mexico and then back up in the Aleutians. There was a good-sized one just off the coast above San Francisco a couple of weeks ago.

California isn't supposed to "fall off into the ocean" but it is supposed to wind up several feet north which will sever power lines, pipe lines (water and fuel), and surface transportation across the San Andreas fault. It's going to be quite a ride.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apologies...I believe that a comment intended for Joy of Six, was incorrectly submitted to your blog. (You would please delete it?)

The question that I wished to ask you is: What are your group/activities? I (was one who) played PS/ESF6 during the New Madrid earthquake exercise in Missouri, last year.
Cop Car

Harold/AQ said...

Cop Car, thanks for asking!
I'll be PS/LG for today's exercise, in the City of La Verne's EOC. My first choice is always MC/FF in the ERV, but they aren't having a feeding exercise in our area. We do plan to open a shelter.

joared said...

Thanks for your efforts. I live in a community near to La Verne so expect should the worst scenario occur with a real event you would be coordinating with our city.

Personal circumstances about which I blogged recently have resulted in my adding a new disaster preparation item to my supplies from a local surplus store -- a portable toilet. Hope I never have to use it.