Thursday, January 20, 2005

Thoughts on Trust

It's the afternoon of Inauguration Day... the awful deed is done and I need to just deal with it. I so want to believe that I'm just missing the many virtues of these people who will govern for the next four years... I want to believe that...
Condi Rice certainly expressed shock and dismay that her credibilty was questioned during her confirmation hearings. I'd like to give Dr. Condileeza Rice formerly of Stanford University the benefit of the doubt... I'd like to... It would almost be better to have a Secretary of State who was stupid rather than... disingenuous?
Mr. Cheney apparently feels that we'd be golden in Iraq right now if only we'd known that all the alternative leadership in Iraq had been killed off in 1991. You'd think we'd have known that, wouldn't you? I mean we could pinpoint all of Saddam Hussein's weapons of mass destruction so why didn't we notice that those "hundreds of thousands of people" weren't there any more? You don't suppose any of them could have been in the kill-zone during the invasion or subsequent operations do you?
It was reassuring to read (I couldn't bear to listen) that Mr. Bush said "freedom, by its nature, must be chosen,” and he promised “America will not impose our own style of government on the unwilling.” You know... all evidence to the contrary...
Closer to home, of course, Mr. Bush and his minions have been spending some long and sleepless nights working on the salvation of our Social Security programs... No, I'm sorry... I've got to go with the Crabby Old Lady on this one, too. This guy's trying to sell me snake oil... again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"You don't suppose any of them could have been in the kill-zone during the invasion or subsequent operations do you?"

Good god - you're more paranoid than even Crabby Old Lady. I wonder how many of us there are and is there, perhaps, a threshold at which the paranoia level is so high, the governmental house of cards comes tumbling down? We can only hope...

I too could not bear to hear or watch Mr. Bush at the inauguration and thus made certain I was out of range of electronic media on Thursday.

Ronni Bennett

J. said...

Barbara Boxer's my hero - the only senator with the guts to call a spade a spade. Shame on the other senators that lost their courage under fire.