Saturday, February 27, 2010

Journalism Isn't What It Once Was

I'm no journalist but if my boss sent me to report on an earthquake, and I sent back reports from 200 miles away from the earthquake, my boss would fire me.
As a long-time resident of California I got used to reading the stories "from Sacramento" from San Francisco. Heck, I've been to Sacramento and I understand.
My sister down in San Diego County has been having fits ever since they started getting their "local" weather reports from Los Angeles. I'm not crazy about getting my local weather from Greenville.
I'm just saying that there was an 8.8 earthquake more than ten hours ago just north of Concepcion, Chile, and the media are still reporting on how upset hotel tenants are in their modern accommodations in Santiago.
Can't catch a flight? Can't pool your cash and rent a helicopter? Can't rent a jeep somewhere?

1 comment:

Kay Dennison said...

Ny refuge is my local FM radio station -- the Cleveland TV stations ignore our existence.

And no, journalism isn't what it once was. Sigh.