Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Observing a Blogiversary

I saw a counter on Kay's blog, checked my archives, and - lo and behold - today this blog is four years old.

I have to say that keeping a blog isn't the stupidest thing I've done over the past four years... not by a long shot. I came into this with no particular expectations, with very little awareness of what I wanted to do here, and - given that - I think it's gone pretty well. I think I wrote some decent stuff over on the the other site before it crashed on me. I've 'met' some interesting people. We've lost some interesting people. (I still find myself wanting to tell Joycelyn Ward something now and then.)

I'm still trying to come to terms with blog maintenance, i.e. posting regularly. Ronni Bennett is my hero and role model, consistently turning out a top-quality product day in and day out, and I've disappeared for a month at a time. I am conscious that I don't meet the criteria to make her blog roll today, and then I get this guilt thing going. I know that I fret a bit when I check blogs and there are no entries for an extended period, and I don't want to be that guy.

I saw Ariana Huffington the other night on The Daily Show and was struck by her advice to just go with your first thought. I've had two big posts stuck in park for a year now trying to find time to do some research and develop them. I think I do better by just unloading whatever's in my consciousness and not worrying about the Pullitzers or whatever.

Four years... I had just gotten married on November 1st, 2004, so what the hell was I doing starting a blog? What if I'd discovered blogging a few months earlier?

Anyway, to my readers, thank you for your companionship.

6 comments:

Kay Dennison said...

Happy Blogoversary, AQ!!!!

I'm glad you discovered blogging! And more glad that you encouraged me to start a blog.

And thank you for being my friend!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy blogging anniversary, AQ. I came around a bit late, following a link from Ronni Bennett's; but, I appreciate your postings--and your comments on other blogs.
Cheers (from a former AMS, USN)!
Cop Car

Anonymous said...

Oops! Begging your pardon. My flying fingers flew right past the "R". Should have written, "Cheers (from a former AMS, USNR!"
Cop Car

Steven said...

I must tell you that I always look forward to seeing a new post from you. Keep it up! Time flies when you're having fun. (Yikes! I just checked and I see I have been doing this for 8 years.)



(From a former HM3)

Rain Trueax said...

Congratulations on your blogiversary. I enjoy reading your blog and always like it when I get a comment from you. You write thinking person's posts.

joared said...

Belated congratulations on your blogging anniversary. I don't think anyone can quite match RB's track record on blog posts. I, too, had the guilts periodically thinking I was supposed to keep up, which, obviously, I haven't. I'm sure my erroneous attitude contributed to my frustration with my own blog efforts.

I saw an interview with Huffington promoting her blog book. I try too hard sometimes, I think. I have several hundred "first thoughts" in email drafts that were ideas for blog posts I should have just posted and got on with it.

I'm finally coming around to appreciating Huffington, but she left a bad taste in my mouth when she was here in So. Cal. promoting her husband for public office years ago. It was so clear to me that she was the candidate not him and I resented that.