Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Woman, 82, Get Ticket for Slow Crossing

I saw this story on the news last night...
I live where I live and I can't speak to how things are elsewhere, but there is something fundamentally wrong with a society that is in such a damn hurry that it can't wait for a person to cross the damn street.
Yeah,, they picked the lady with the unusual attire and walking staff to headline and interview on camera, but she's not the only one to get a ticket and I'm not sure I could have sprinted across Foothill Blvd. up in the Valley even before I broke my leg a year ago last Sunday. Five lanes in under ten seconds? Even less after you wait for the red-light runners to clear the intersection.
Some of us have some explaining to do when we come to judgment for the way we treat people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I've been following this news item which I first saw on NBC'S TV 4. They included an interview with someone from the Dept. of Transportaion who said the traffic light(s) were set for traversing "4 feet per second."

I believed there had to be more to the story than the sound bite aired. Subsequent news items seen on other channels, other days (this item ought to good for a week or two of reruns prefaced with "Breaking News") included an interview with the officer who did shed some light on the pedestrian's possible mis-judgement.

Would like to see the full story all in one spot. I do believe the ticket and fine were a miscarriage of justice based on what I know at this point.

I, too, think a reassessment of crossing time at traffic lights is long overdue to accommodate those not so flight of foot. I may well be in that number, as may be many others, sooner than we think.

Anonymous said...

Couldn't find an email address on your blog, so maybe you won't mind a note here.

Wonder if you have any thoughts on the Wellpoint/Blue Cross denial of ins. coverage after-the-fact debacle that has been in L.A. news.