Wednesday, July 06, 2005

On the Passing of a Hero

I need to mark the passing of Vice Admiral James B. Stockdale yesterday.
I gave up on heroes a long time ago, but Admiral Stockdale got to me. I actually got to meet him briefly in 1982. He came into my office at the Naval Hospital in San Diego to try to arrange an appointment for his son. Yes, I did bump his son's appointment up. For what Admiral Stockdale gave up for us, there isn't much that I wouldn't have done for him.
Already in 1982 most of my sailors had no idea who he was.
I don't know what made him accept the second spot on Ross Perot's 1992 campaign. I suspect that it was his lifelong commitment to service to his country. He wasn't nearly glib enough for a televised debate, but I damn sure wasn't going to vote against him.
If only there had been even a few more like him.
Rest in peace, Admiral.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you honored this man with your post. I had never heard of him when he ran with Ross Perot, but watching the debate, my heart went out to him. He wasn't a politician and no, he wasn't glib, but he was real - unlike so many politicians.