Monday, May 30, 2005

Another Reality Check... and an Appreciation

I am mindful today of all of the men and women over the years who have given their lives in service to our country. It is not a matter of gratitude so much as an appreciation that each of the liberties we enjoy has come to us at a very high price paid by the blood of others.

I had intended to spend time this morning out at Riverside National Cemetery, but that didn't work out.
While I was in the hospital in April they were giving me injections to prevent blood clots, and at the time of my discharge it was anticipated that those would continue. My young surgeon, on the other hand, was under the impression that if one was going to develop a clot one would do so within five days. I didn't argue because, frankly, the idea of giving myself a shot in my abdomen twice a day didn't sing to me in the first place.
During my sixth post-op week my right lower leg became progressively more swollen as each day passed, and progressively more painful with each passing day. On Friday I was ready to admit the possibility that all was not as it should be. An ultrasound showed that the clot wasn't just below the back of my knee where the throbbing was worst... the clot just ended there. The tech couldn't see the top of the clot as the vein passed up into the torso.
My thinking is that it probably started to form some time ago, but that it didn't get my attention until the lower leg became blocked.

This past Friday, Saturday, and Sunday they gave me my injections in the hospital. Today I'm giving them to myself at home... and taking Coumadin... and the leg still throbs because it takes about six weeks to dissolve the clot.
By the way, last week I got the new date for removal of my cancerous prostate... July 12... six weeks from tomorrow... and I have to be off anti-coagulants for at least a week before surgery.
I’m wondering if I didn’t have another lesson in humility coming. I was all psyched about running through my recovery process as quickly as possible... I wanted to spend a whole day walking the Del Mar Fair in a few weeks. I pushed it, and reality pushed back. Still, there’s a difference between recognizing limitations and accepting them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, dear. What a pain - literally and figurativley. You sound like an impatient patient and being so myself, I understand completely. But the body will have its way and you gotta give it time.

Hang in there and please keep us "posted" as it were. I desperately wish there were more I could do besides leave a note for you.

COHolley said...

My beloved....your strength and determination are an inspiration to me. I wish I could go through it for you..there is nothing that I wouldnt do for you. You wont miss the fair. You may have to humble yourself enough to be pushed along by your bride, but we will see the fair...and yes...the animal expo too.

Sean Dustman said...

AQ, don't worry about us out here, we know you care. You're falling apart, get a good doc to sew you back together again! Stay strong.

majamom said...

Just hit your blog and its a good one!
Sending prayers ad healing energy your way.
My dad went through a similar experience as your 3 years ago and he is better then new !
come by and say Hey.
Peace Be With You,
MB