Friday, April 01, 2005

Trying to let bygones be bygones

Let me be clear... I don't believe that Jane Fonda owes me a thing. We'll all come to judgement in our time, but I'm pretty sure I won't get to be the judge. Having said that, I've been reading about this interview she gave to Leslie Stahl, and it just isn't working for me.
She, as so many others, seems to only regret that she was captured on film... in her case sitting on that anti-aircraft gun in Hanoi. She doesn't regret the trip to the enemy capital in 1972, and she doesn't regret the Hanoi radio spots, and she doesn't regret visiting the guards at the Hanoi Hilton (she damn sure didn't care about the prisoners)... she only regrets “The image of Jane Fonda, ‘Barbarella,’ Henry Fonda’s daughter ... sitting on an enemy aircraft gun."
You know there are things we do that cannot be undone. I was thinking about how I could find it in my heart to forgive Jane Fonda... for my soul, not hers... until I read this piece and found that she's actually unrepentant for the actual betrayal... she's only sorry for the image of her betrayal. I have this overwhelming urge to quote Dan Ackroyd from SNL here.

2 comments:

Cowtown Pattie said...

As in:
"Jane Fonda, Traitor B----?

Harold/AQ said...

Pattie, I was thinking more along the lines of "Jane, you ignorant..."