Thursday, April 21, 2005

Thoughts on Life

I fell and broke my hip two Saturdays ago... just a simple step off the curb in a parking lot on an absolutely beautiful April morning. Suddenly one's life has changed... and in many ways no longer seems to be entirely one's own.
I've known since early January that my life was going to change... I was trying to keep things on my terms.
I had a week to get our taxes finished for 2004 and set up for 2005.
I had over two weeks to finish teaching my boss and co-workers how I've done my job... and often their's... for the past six years.
I had over two weeks to get my durable power of attorney signed and witnessed... to make sure my bride was fully empowered just in case. The surgery for my prostate cancer was scheduled for April 26th.
There was a point I reached the other night that I had not reached before... Everyone was trying to help me...Everyone was hurting me...Nothing was working...
I'm (finally) back home tonight. The prostatectomy will be rescheduled when I'm back on my feet from the hip pinning. Did I need to learn that I wasn't in control?
I'll bet that flight over the Smart & Final parking lot on the 9th would be a hoot to watch. I hope someone has seen it.

5 comments:

Hill Billy Rave said...

I was a wondering about you myself. I hate to hear you have had such a rough time. I'm glad your back home and I'll say a prayer on your surgery.

Anonymous said...

AQ, what a terrible thing - well, couple of things. I hope your hip recovery moves along smoothly and the surgery too.

I'm not much for prayer, as appalachian intellectual, but I kinda believe in candles. One is lit. With both, how can the cosmos not move your recovery forward swiftly and with great success.

J. said...

Get well soon - I know it will take time, but keep writing in the meantime!

Dave said...

I hate to hear about your troubles. It makes mine seem pretty silly right now. I hope your recovery goes well. Keep us posted.

Sean Dustman said...

Whoa! I was wondering where you were at, I'm sorry to hear about your fall, that's horrible! Let me know if you need anything.