Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Thank you, John.

John Edwards has suspended his campaign.
My first reaction was of disappointment; I really thought this might be when we start to turn things back around in America... and maybe it will be, but it's less likely now. I don't know what precipitated his decision to withdraw today, six days before Super Tuesday with absentee ballots already in the mail, but I give him the benefit of the doubt; I owe him that.
The watchword of his campaign is "Tomorrow Begins Today," and that resonated with me; we don't have to, nor should we, wait until January, 2009, to change America. Since my association with his One Corps organization I've stirred myself to spend a hot day on a Habitat for Humanity build site, I've started getting out on Sunday mornings and helping to set up the Arlington West site in Santa Monica, and I've become a Red Cross Disaster Services volunteer. Having been inertially challenged all my life, I owe John and Elizabeth Edwards a huge debt of gratitude.
I'm not going to campaign for Barack Obama... I still don't know how much of him is sizzle and how much is steak... but I wish him well and I hope there's something to him. For John and Elizabeth, fair winds and following seas.

2 comments:

Rain Trueax said...

I didn't agree with Edwards' policies, wasn't sure about him and went back and forth on whether he was a good bet as a leader-- but he did this honorably, not to gain for himself but to honestly do what he felt was right for the country. I have to respect that. It might well hurt Obama but the main issue was that he do what he believed was right. I wish them both well and Edwards is young enough that we may again see him in the presidential arena.

Kay Dennison said...

I didn't campaign for Edwards and he put me off with a few things at the beginning of his campaign but I kept watching him and I found that I liked him better and better and other candidates less and less. With his dropping out, the chances of my voting for democrat falls between slim and non-existent. I'm so tired of the mentality in this country. The most honorable men running have gotten the short end from the media and it's literally ruined their campaigns. I'm about ready to just give up and leave because as Bob Brady wrote on his blog, "I don't remember this country."