Friday, October 20, 2006

It's Our Election and We Get to Choose

Gerry Prosser commented in Nobody Asked that it was frustrating that there was little to choose between Republican and Democrat. One hears this a lot, often from people trying to excuse not voting (which Prosser says he does); and it is disturbing to me.
For whatever reason, and I'm sure there would be many offered up, Americans have tuned out of government. We make up our minds on the basis of 15-second sound bites from paid ads or corporate "news" media, and vote (or not) for A or B.
I've mentioned my disappointment at the consistency with which I heard "sure, McClintock would make a better governor, but Arnold is going to win so I'm voting for him." As if it's all about voting for the winning team? I am disappointed, but not at all embarrassed, to say that my candidates haven't usually won.
In California, there are six candidates on the ballot for Governor; six for Lt. Governor; six for Dianne Feinstein's job. The election will probably go to Arnold, McClintock (Tom, I can't tell you how disappointed I am in you for doing this), and Feinstein; but I ain't voting for any of them... or for any Democrats either.
If I can't come up with a "best candidate" I can vote "for," I'm going to write myself in. My write-in won't count? Helloooooo! I don't expect to win!
My point is that we don't have to accept just A or B. We have choices. We have the opportunity to make positive choices, instead of selecting the lesser of evils.
If enough of us would put the effort we spend into choosing clothes or cars into choosing government it just might make a difference. We don't have to wait until 2008.
This year, if the Republicans lose enough seats and non-Democrats pick up a few of those, we could return to a multi-party representative democracy. We don't have to choose between a government of the 20% to the right or to the left. We do have to choose.

3 comments:

Maya's Granny said...

I have never in my life voted for a candidate in other than local elections who won. And few locals, for that matter. You have to vote for the best person for the job.

I wish we could vote fro "None of the above" and if that got the most votes, they would have to run some new people.

Anonymous said...

From where I sit, the differences between Dems and Reps are more pronounced this year than at any time since the 1960 presidential election. There may not be clear choices in all locales, but here in TN there is a marked contrast between the candidates for US Senate.

My fear is that if the Republican lock on Washington is not broken this election, we may never have another chance. Would Bush stop short of attempting to indefinitely delay the next Presidential election on the grounds of national security? I think not. And at present, there is no one to stop him. Scary...

Robert Brady said...

House + Senate majorities for the Democrats would mean pres impeachment, investigations, trials and possible jail sentences for a lot of the current crew, so the GOP CAN'T allow it. What they will do to prevent it should be interesting.