Monday, June 19, 2006

A Word About Hospitalman Zachary M. Alday

Hospitalman Zachary M. Alday, 22, of Donalsonville, Ga., died June 9 from injuries sustained earlier in the day when the vehicle in which he was riding struck a land mine. His unit was conducting combat operations against enemy forces in the Al Anbar Province of Iraq.
Doc Alday was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 7th Marines, 7th Regimental Combat Team, 1st Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward), Camp Pendleton, Calif.
With nearly all of the Corpsmen I've mentioned in here there has been an untold back story. I'm struck by the fact that
Doc Alday's guestbook at Legacy already runs to five pages, and WALB, his local NBC affiliate station, did a piece on him.
The President and others say things like we can't let these deaths have been in vain. Well, they either were or they weren't, and there's nothing to be done about that now except to mark their sacrifice.
Semper Fi.

4 comments:

Proud Corpsman's Wife said...

It saddens me to see another member of our awesome military gone. Everytime I see that another corpsman is gone it breaks my heart. I am lucky to have my husband back, yet sad that others won't have the same. I pray that this war will end soon.

Maya's Granny said...

It's not right that these young people are dying for a war they have been led into by leaders who are failing them. I don't think that by leaving them over there to die we are honoring the ones who have already died.

Anonymous said...

Well, I had the honor to serve with HN Zachary Alday for approx 11 months before he was killed. It was heart breaking and still causes many emotional thoughts of what he went through. I'll never forget Zach and my prayers will continue to include him, his family and all those who are still in harms way. Zach, continue to watch over us as we have the watch. Always,
Chris Arredondo
HM1 (Hospital Corpsman First Class)

1st Battalion, 1st Marines

Anonymous said...

It was an honor to serve with you my friend.We will allways remember you Alday and we will allways miss u bro take care and now protect us in the battlefield as we carry on with the mission. May GOD bless you and your family.