Friday, May 06, 2005

Thoughts on This and That

Today my ortho surgeon signed off on my return to work this coming Monday. I'm running the wheels off of my walker and am just a hair away from switching to a single crutch or a cane.
The urologist, on the other hand, has said he won't even think about doing surgery on me until I'm at least eight weeks post-op from the femoral rod. He says the risk of emboli is too great. Objectively, I can see his point. Subjectively, it occurs to me that six months (at least) will have passed since my biopsy. I've been racking my brain without success for a potential upside to leaving a cancer to do its work for six months.
Speaking of faith, I did see a couple of items in my reading today.
From WLOS in Asheville, N.C.: "East Waynesville Baptist asked nine members to leave. Now 40 more have left the church in protest. Former members say Pastor Chan Chandler gave them the ultimatum, saying if they didn't support George Bush, they should resign or repent. The minister declined an interview with News 13. But he did say "the actions were not politically motivated."
If you're okay with that tidbit, then you're going to love what they're doing in Kansas (and elsewhere). The Kansas State Board of Education wants to "alter the definition of science, not limiting it to theories based on natural explanations." Yes, it's another run at passing off creationism/"intelligent design" as science.
I'm not going to be hypercritical today. I suspect that defending the conceit that the entire universe was created for the pleasure and benefit of those humans of the Judeo-Christian faiths must be extremely hard work... although it has to be somewhat easier under the current Administration.

3 comments:

Hill Billy Rave said...

A.Q, I agree with Tamar that this has to be a chalenging time for you. I'm sure you handle the challenge well.

It seems you keep up on Western North Carolina well. Of course it has gained National attention. First let me say, what my neighbors did over the mountain, I think is plumb silly. It's as silly to me as people beleiving that John Kerry or George Bush for that matter is going to save us from whatever the crisis of the day is.

Second, I am of the Christian faith, and God, in my eyes, is so great, he could have made this world in any way that he pleases. Good evedince on either side is hidden fom veiw. Any more it's finger pointing and eye poking. And, nothing personal, I beleive that's what your comment was.

I suffer from the same affliction you mention in your post below. Heck, I was going to comment on it and wound up not doing it. I beleive that discourse, debating, not arguing, but, truly comparing the facts is a healthy thing. I think we both know, we don't have that in this country any more.

Let me warn you and your readers, until you've lived in these mountains and gotten to know people from one valley to the next, don't draw a firm conclusion.We're a peculiar breed.
Hang in there with your health.

Anonymous said...

I too would be wondering about the wait for cancer surgery, but there doesn't seem to be a choice right now for you.

As to North Carolina and Kansas, the race to turn the United States into a Christian theocracy seems to be picking up speed with similar stories turning up all over the place. To mix my metaphors, I wish I knew the antidote.

When I was a girl, our teacher, one year, gave us a stunning lesson in prejudice. (I've read of it several places since, so perhaps it was an educational fad in the 1950s)

Our class was divided into blue eyes and brown eyes. Then, for a day or two, one set did not speak with or play with the other at recess; the teacher did not call on them in class. They were ignored in every possible manner.

She then reversed it for a couple of days.

The results were devastating to us all - to be made non-persons was a strong lesson in bigotry of all kinds.

I don't suppose they do that exercise in school anymore...

Harold/AQ said...

There is merit to A.I.'s response. My issue is not with one's faith, but with closing one's mind to alternatives... which, I suppose, might stem from one's faith...
I attended a small Baptist church while in foster care, but Rev. Mullen taught that the Old Testament was not necessarily to be taken literally and that instead of seven "days" the reference might have been to seven stages of development.
I have no idea what set up or triggered the "Big Bang" that scientists suggest took place. I do become impatient with people who simply dismiss millions of years of geologic and paleontologic history which is much more suggestive of "trial and error" than of "intelligent design."